Thursday, December 11, 2008

Hot Pursuit


Every Rookie dreams about their first vehicle pursuit. In our line of work it's one of the most exciting, scary, intense and rite-of-passage things you can do. It is of course very dangerous and the reason we pursuit vehicles must be for a very good cause.

My opprotunity arose this week when I noticed an intoxicated looking driver speeding the wrong way down a one way road. I have never had anyone not stop for me when my lights come on, so needless to say, when she took off on me....I was a bit suprised.

The pursuit ensued. It's hard to describe a pursuit until you've actually done one, because it seems so much easier on the outside looking in. You must call out speeds, traffic, direction of travel, etc...all while reacting to what the crazy driver in front of you is doing.

My pursuit the girl driving first tried to ram me out of her way when I attempted to block her in. She then sped through downtown at about 50 mph, hitting two vehicles. Well, the pursuit was terminated for safety reasons (once it get's to dangerous we stop). Only a minute or so later another officer found her after she hit into a telephone pole, completely wiping it out.

So this 18 year old girl is getting charged with 3 Felonies, and 3 Misdemeanors....all because she didn't want to stop for a cop because she was drunk. A crime that for first time offenders usually doesn't even make it to the court room.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Man- I ma so glad that Telephone pole was there for Karma reasons and all!

This story needs to be heard by young drinking kids everywhere, don;t you think? Hey kids...be smart about it!

Unknown said...

tiff- when I went to type my comment the verification said 'demons'.
freaky

About Me

My photo
Youngest of twelve children. Enough said.