Saturday, October 25, 2008

Riding Solo

Yesterday was my first day riding solo in the patrol car! It's a big deal because it means they trust you enough to let you loose on your own. My training officer still responds to alot of my calls, but in her own car. I was so incredibly nervous. It turned out to be really good and actually alot less stressful than when you actually have a training officer sitting in the passenger seat, jotting down notes on every wrong turn you make.

I've just begun the actual testing out process, called "x-ray" here at this department. I've got a long ways to go but it feels so good to actually take a step closer to feel like I've accomplished something.

It was a NERVE RACKING feeling however, responding to your first call on your own. I get called to a couple of kids who started a fire in a park and I'm thinking, "Oh great....I hope I know what to do." I walk up to the firemen who had the kids sitting down and the fire out. I feel like such a rookie. Not only do I look like a little kid in my uniform, I am just so nervous. Needless to say I just had to take a deep breath and be thinking, "OK. I know what this is. I know the law." It all turned out ok and I made the right decisions in the end, but it was a bit scary at first hearing your call sign over the air and responding...all by yourself...almost like a real cop.

Almost.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am sure those kids saw you walking up in your uniform and wanted to crap! Let's be honest here, you could have made something up and they would have believed it- you are in a uniform!

It's weird to think of you out there doing your thing ! I saw Katie's little sister at the Chevron and she said- "I saw that video of Tiff in the bust on the internet! She looked so awesome!"
I have never met her sister before, but she recognized me as a BUrton and the rest is history......

Shannon said...

Oh Tiff, I got a bit nervous too reading your post. But you have the badge - now fly with it!

Wendyburd1 said...

Yay Tiff! Any pics of you in your scary uniform? Is there a video of you and a bust? SHARE!!
You'll be GREAT!! A tough chiquita banana!!

Miss Tiff said...

Ramona, yeah, I think all Katie's little sisters could recognize a Burton, even if they've never met face to face before.

I'm not so nervous about street stuff, like most people are thinking, it's more nerve racking because there is so much small forms, paper work, and just procedures you have to go through with each different arrest. That is the stuff that i'm hoping to not screw up! C'mon, I could take anyone down.

Oh, and wendy, I don't know if this link still works but it might:
http://www.kxly.com/global/video/popup/pop_playerLaunch.asp?vt1=v&clipFormat=flv&clipId1=2913108&at1=News&h1=Police

Unknown said...

You really are kind of tough.

I think of you every time I see Gillian on Biggest Loser. Mike agrees with me.

Wendyburd1 said...

It DOES still work! That's you Tiff?! You look like a bada**!! Go girl!LOL!

About Me

My photo
Youngest of twelve children. Enough said.