Thursday, October 30, 2008

Faking It

Alot about what my job entails is knowing what your doing with great confidence. And when you don't have that great confidence that what you're doing is right....fake it.

From interrogating people you have handcuffed in the back of your patrol car to the "simple" task of driving from point A to point B at 80 MPH, with lights and sirens going, all while trying to read your call on the computer. Faking it. Something I have become very good at with this job. Your Sgt. needs to talk to you? Fake it, what ever question he has, just act like you know what your talking about. Trust me, it goes along way.


I know I'm not the only rookie who has adapted this motto. In fact, I was reading a book about a rookie cop who had left his red/blue lights running while sitting in a parking lot. He didn't know it at the time. A passerby approached him and said "your lights are on." He was so embarrassed but said "yeah, I know, I'm just waiting for someone." And as soon as the passerby was out of sight, he turned them off. I laughed so hard at this. Mainly because I have done the exact same thing. Except instead of sitting in a parking lot I was casually driving down the road. I was just like, "wow, everyone is really moving out of my way today."

5 comments:

Shannon said...

I totally LOVE this post. You are so awesome.
Now I see why a cop will drive past a bunch of people with his/her lights on...and then just turn them off. They must forget. :)

Miss Tiff said...

Haha, shannon, It's funny you brought that up. My friend Rachael always says she hates how cops will roar past her with lights and then turn them off and slow down. She thinks it's just to get out of driving in traffic. Well actually, alot of times cops will get called to a hot call (use lights/sirens), but then after a minute or so the call turns out to not be a big deal. So then you just turn your lights off, slow down and keep going. And yes, you'll get dirty looks from drivers when this happens.

Wendyburd1 said...

That is so good Tiff, thank you I needed a laugh!! How is solo going? More confident yet?? :)

Unknown said...

This is a good one!

It's kind of like with kids and horses.... they can sense fear, so you have to act tougher than you really are.
I fake being a strict mom when I think about it.

Anonymous said...

We have ALL left our overheads on once or twice in our careers. Don't let it phase you when someone busts you out for it.

Great blog :-)

~Paul

About Me

My photo
Youngest of twelve children. Enough said.