Sunday, September 28, 2008

No Funny Business, Just Funny People

I've got my first scheduled appearance to testify in court.

yeah.

For those of you who aren't getting the implied sarcasm, it's there. This is no small case either, not like somebody protesting a ticket or anything. I'm talking about a shooting. Drive by. Yeah. I'll sound like such an idiot up there. I'm just imagining some scene from "Law and Order" where the cop gets ripped up on the stand. Wish me luck I guess.

And that brings me to my next order of business. Gangsters. Or wanna be gangsters at that. This town is full of them (The latter mostly.) Guys wearing the pants almost to their knees, their baseball hat's cocked to the side, and 808 Bass pumping from out of the crappy sound system in their 1988 Chevy Caprice. Low ride of course.

I guess sometimes I just don't get it. I stop this young gentlemen who has a few tattoos on his neck and arms. His name is already in our system as a gangster, but behind his XXL Jeans I'm thinking he seems like he'd be a good kid! He's very respectful calling my partner and I "Ma'am" and "Sir." But I have to remember that once the tables turn, if he had a chance, he could/would hurt either one of us.

That is the way we are taught to think. Everyone, even the most respectful person, could hurt or kill us if the situation was right and it became necessary to their advantage. I know this sounds sadistic but it is how a cop must think if they are expected to survive and expect the unexpected. So please don't think I've become a paranoid, pessimistic type of person. It's just the nature of the job.

Will this constant guarded type of personality I've taken on affect my relationship with others? Probably, but at least my husband knows what's going on in my little head (for the most part!) That way we can deal with things together. Some people may think that a job dealing with suicides, broke junkies, and husbands and wives fighting like 10 year olds would be depressing or discouraging. But I have to tell you: It's been one of the most fun, eye opening experiences I've ever encountered!

5 comments:

Tommy & Kolbi said...

Tiff! Long time eh? How are you doing! I am glad I found this so I can see whats going on with you! I miss you! Keep in touch!

Shannon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shannon said...

oh man, my comment had so many spelling errors in it...I had to delete it and try again!

Hey Tiff. Good luck in court. I hope all goes well. When I was on jury duty, and maybe it's just because I'm this type of person, I totally respected the cop's testimony. He was very matter-of-fact and emotionally detached from the case and if he didn't know something he just said so. Somehow that made him seem more trustworthy.
I love and miss you!!!!

Wendyburd1 said...

First of all, your dog is SICK, and in that new "cool word" way! I LOVE huskies! Have you seen the movie "8 Below"? It is so amazing, I was bawling like a baby especially at the end, it was so beautiful!
Second, this is the first post of yours I read, and I was amazed when it said you were a cop! I was like seriously, too pretty to be a cop...that WAS supposed to be a compliment, LOL! You go girl! People in uniforms always make me like sit up alert like and listen, so I'm sure it will all go great!

Unknown said...

Tiff
I love that you don't let it get you down- you have always been so good at that. remember always calming me down when I would get upset at family parties??? Anyway- you are learning from this. I love that you are letting us learn to by sharing. Good luck in court. It is nothing like on TV. Take your blackberry so you can play brickbreaker during the boring day.

About Me

My photo
Youngest of twelve children. Enough said.